Wind analysis services
Specialists in onshore and offshore wind
The wind is the most fundamental factor in a successful wind power project. All projects require the best estimations of the wind resource to enable design, financing and optimal operation. As we all know, you can’t fix the wind.
Identifying the optimal sites, turbine layout and appropriate turbine technology are essential decisions to be made early in the development phase.
At K2 Management, we help clients from the early concept and planning stages through to operations and re-powering.
We analyze the wind energy resource available, either by helping you to establish a measurement campaign or using your existing wind data, to provide site suitability (e.g. IEC class), feasibility and ‘bankable’ (acceptable to financiers and investors) energy yield estimates (GWhr/year). We also assess operating assets to determine the performance of the project against expectations and to assist investors or vendors when project assets are being sold.
K2 Management uses advanced numerical analysis techniques including computational fluid dynamics (CFD), mesoscale modeling and in-house developed tools along with industry standard software to determine the probability of wind energy availability.
From this the financial, and design parameters can be set, and the turbine selection, site layout optimization (micro-siting) can be done to further optimize the site for better energy yield and reduced uncertainty.
Our specialists perform analysis and investigations on wind turbine noise and shadow flicker issues to help mitigate environmental risk and potential delays.
Key services include:
- Identify, assess and analyze areas for potential wind farms
- Identify the representative climatic site conditions, both normal and extreme, such as:
- Wind speed
- Wind flow
- Turbulence intensity
- Wind shear
- Air density
- Design and management of wind measurement campaigns to produce ‘bankable’ and saleable wind power projects.
- Optimization of wind farm layout with respect to production, visibility, low OPEX and other requirements such as overhead cables, roads, noise etc.
Annual Energy Production (AEP) / Energy Yield (GWhr) predictions
For complex sites, CFD wind flow simulation for optimizing wind turbine lifetime
- Identification and recommendation of optimal and suitable technology for a specific wind farm
- Environmental assessment - acoustic noise and shadow flicker
- Power curve performance test and site calibration
- Third party assessment and verification
- Identification of representative long-term wind condition parameters
- Wind farm layout optimization (primarily regarding energy production and effective turbulence) based on international standards (e.g. IEC 61400)
- Wind farm energy yield assessment (e.g. P50, P75, and P90 AEP estimation)
- Recommendations for next steps and development of further sites
3D CFD for micro-siting
K2 Management provides state of the art CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulations for wind turbine micro-siting, concerning challenging sites with complex terrain, forested areas or those in a built-up area or near buildings.
CFD simulations will help to identify the best wind turbine positions and consequently maximize the energy output for your wind projects. We have supported our clients globally to optimize the wind turbine layouts with in-depth CFD flow analysis giving a better understanding of the wind conditions to support project investment.